Friday, November 6, 2015


Tech Tac Toe: Part Two Word Clouds

I tried using Wurdle early in the semester and while I was able to create the wurdle with ease, I wasn't able to publish it.  I took screen shots of the two wurdles I created and will share one of them here.


As you can see, I wasn't able to figure out how to rotate the image (I did rotate it on my website).  I was frustrated that I couldn't figure out how to publish it or create a link for it.

Since I like the idea of word clouds, I decided to try Tagul and I had a much better experience with navigating the site and I love the animated word cloud.  I was able to create the word cloud quickly and I prefer it to Wurdle product.  It was a breeze to find the code to embed it on my website.

I can see creating word clouds with my students as they would love it.  Many of my special education students struggle with various aspects of writing so it can be a painful part of the day for my students and me.  They could dictate words or pick words from their stories/sentences and tagul would generate animated word clouds to help their words come alive.  I'm going to try it with my students!

I looked up how to embed widgets in this blog and spent a long time trying to figure it out but no luck. Luckily, my classmates Barb and Ann Maria saved the day and showed me how to embed it.






2 comments:

  1. The colored sections are SO cool! I already loved Tagul, but now I need to check it out to try and purposely color areas. Very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like that you tried a few different tools and then found one that will fit your needs. Wordle is limiting in terms of only being able to save it as an image- it wasn't designed with educators in mind. Thanks for posting both samples!

    ReplyDelete